As most people who know me already know, I will be in Israel with a Grace Bible College tour from May 11 through May 22. I have posted the itinerary below with a few links to websites of interest. It is not too early to start planning ahead for the 2010 trip! Please contact me if you are interested in more information about travel in Israel or about our future trips. [Edit: I made some adjustments to this schedule to account for a few last minute changes.)
Check back to this blog for more GBC/Israel information, pics, etc.
Day 1: (Monday-May 11) USA to Israel. Our flight information is as follows:
DL5475U 11MAY GRR ATL 520P 721P OPERATED BY ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST
DL 152U 11MAY ATL TLV 1030P 520P 12MAY
Day 2: (Tuesday-May 12) Arriving in Jerusalem
- Ben Gurion airport and drives us to the Rosary Guest House (Arrive at 5:20 PM Israel Time).
- The Rosary Guest House has a good reputation and is centrally located in Jerusalem, and comes highly recommended.
- Walk across Independence Park to Ben Yehuda Street; Visit the ATM for Shekels, have a snack, soak up some local culture. Get a good night’s sleep!
Day 3: (Wednesday-May 13) In Jerusalem
- We walk down Agron Street and walk through the Jaffa Gate of the Old City of Jerusalem, walk the old city market.
- The Jewish Quarter, the Cardo and Menorah, Hezekiah’s Wall
- The Temple Mount where we walk around the Dome of the Rock
- We visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
- The Wohl Museum
- Back to the Rosary Guest House for dinner
Day 4: (Thursday-May 14) To Arad
- Beginning on the Mount of Olives we walk down to the church of the tear-drop and the Garden of Gethsemane on the Bethany Road.
- We leave Jerusalem and stop at the Valley of Elah (more pics here) (David and Goliath)
- Probably stops at the Bell Caves and tel Beersheva
- To Margoa Arad, our hotel for the evening.
Day 5: (Friday-May 15)
- Tel Arad, a Canaanite city captured by Israel, Solomonic gates and Temple structure
- Masada, the famed fortress built by King Herod (Lunch at Masada)
- Swim at the Dead Sea, float awhile at Ein Boquet
- Evening at Margoa Arad
Day 6: (Saturday-May 16) Galilee-Ma’agan
- Ein Gedi National Park – the caves where David hid from Saul (pics)
- Qumran, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered (lunch buffet)
- Beit Shean, a Roman city near Galilee
- Arrive at the Sea of Galilee and the Ma’agan Holiday Village
Day 7: (Sunday-May 17) Galilee-Ma’agan
- Upper Galilee (Peace Overlook)
- Gamla, Mount Ben Tal
- Caesarea Philippi (Banias)
- tel Hazor
- Maagan Holiday Village
Day 8: (Monday-May 18) Galilee-Ma’agan
- Mount Arbel, overlooking the NW of the Sea of Galilee
- The Mount of Beatitudes
- Capernaum (more here), Tagbha, Korazim (and here), Kursi (here for archaeology)
- Back to Maagan to enjoy the swimming pool!
Day 9: (Tuesday-May 19 To the Coast and back to Jerusalem
- Mount Carmel (more here), overlooking the valley of Megiddo
- tel Megiddo, From Canaanite (3000 BC) to Solomonic gates
- Caesarea on the Mediterranean
- Back to the Rosary for the evening
Day 10: (Wednesday-May 20) In Jerusalem
- The Temple Tunnel Tour (more pics here)
- The Western Wall (live cam!)and the excavations at the Southern Wall (Museum)
- The City of David excavations
- Church of St Peter in Gallicantu, where Peter denied Christ, likely the home of Caiaphas the High Priest
- Rosary Guest House for the evening
Day 11: (Thursday-May 21) Jerusalem-Airport
- The Garden Tomb (more pics here)
- Yad VaShem Museum
- The Israel Museum (Shrine of the Book (and here), Jerusalem Model)
- A final chance to eat and shop in the Old City (more pics)
- Off to the airport!
Day 12: (Friday-May 22) Home, 12:30 PM at Grand Rapids
Return Flight Information:
DL 87U 22 MAY TLV JFK 1240A 645A
DL6453U 22 MAY JFK CVG 815A 1033A OPERATED BY COMAIR INC
DL6222U 22 MAY CVG GRR 1125A 1230P OPERATED BY FREEDOM AIRLINES